Governor Pete Ricketts signed a proclamation declaring April 7-13 as Nebraska Public Transit Week. Show your support for a service that helps thousands of Nebraskans stay mobile and access critical services like education, employment, and medical care.
Below is a list of events and activities across the state to celebrate with us! Join other members of your community in showing support for the local transit system, and discover what public transit can do for you.
- Monday – All passengers ride for half price.
- Wednesday – All passengers ride for half price.
- Thursday – Open House: From 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. come in and see what we have to offer.
- Friday – Passenger Appreciation Day: New passengers ride for free. Free cookies.
- Tuesday and Wednesday – Passenger Appreciation Days: Free round trip per person.
- Thursday – Open House: From 1-4 p.m. stop in and get cookies and refreshments and free rides to the Open House.
- Friday – Driven to Give event in coordination with Beatrice Ford Lincoln. 4 p.m. drawing for a $20 bus card.
- All Week
- Stuff the Bus.
- Activities for the back pack program (please bring in snacks for kids).
- All riders will be eligible for a drawing for prizes.
- Spot The Bus: Take a picture of one of the buses in town and contact the office to see what happens!
- Tuesday – Coffee and doughnuts available all day at the transit office.
Nebraska City Office
- Stuff the Bus for the Food Pantry (Nebraska City students).
- Spot the Bus (for the public to participate).
- Art Contest: High school students from Nebraska City Public and Lourdes Central Catholic and middle school students from Nebraska City Public participating. The public votes for their favorite to determine the winner.
- Open House (all week).
- Donation Box at Fare-way and vote for your favorite Blue Rivers employee in Nebraska City.
- Passenger appreciation all week with giveaways!
- Monday – Buddy Day: Two people ride for the price of one.
- Tuesday – Ride to lunch at the Syracuse Senior Center. Drawing for a nutrition ticket.
- Wednesday – All riders receive a free gift.
- Thursday – Ride four days and the fifth day is free.
- Friday – Open House: From 8:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. stop in for drawings, giveaways, and a treat!
- Wednesday – Coffee and doughnuts for all riders available at the dining facility located at 815 D Street (The Legion Club).
- All Week
- Bring a friend along for free.
- $1 off your ride with a donation to the food pantry.
- Handing out treats and pens to passengers.
- Proclaiming Public Transportation Week at the City Council meeting on April 1, 2019.
- Newspaper article in the Chadron Record.
- Promotion on the local radio station during community focused programs.
- Pens will be distributed to passengers during the week.
- Wednesday – Driver Appreciation Lunch
- Monday – Passenger Appreciation Day: We thank our passengers for their patronage.
- Tuesday – Backpack Day: Pre-school to 2nd Grade students coloring book activity.
- Wednesday – Stuff the Bus: Bring 1 item for the Antelope County Food Pantry and ride for FREE!
- Thursday – Trivia Thursday: Test your public transit trivia.
- Friday – Driver Appreciation Day: We appreciate and thank our public transit drivers.
- Monday – Crossword Day: Enjoy and return the custom transit crossword for a free treat.
- Tuesday – Buddy Day: Bring a friend with you; two for the price of one.
- Wednesday – Appreciation Day: Receive a free donut for riding the bus.
- Thursday – Veterans Day: Veterans ride free.
- Friday – Gift Day: Receive a gift from Nebraska Public Transit when you ride the bus.
- Monday – Preschool Coloring Contest: St. Johns, St. Andrews and JCC-Cook and Tecumseh - Stop in at city hall all week and help judge the coloring contest. Two winners will be chosen on Friday.
- Tuesday – Spot the Bus: If you see the bus around town, take a picture with your phone. Send the picture to the bus phone, 402-335-7329, or email it with your name and contact number to firstname.lastname@example.org. Winners will be drawn from entries for gift cards or tickets. Everyone in Tecumseh is encouraged to participate. Winners will be chosen on Friday.
- Wednesday – Free round trip ride within city limits (one stop only).
- Thursday – Business Contest Winner Announced: Businesses are given a questionnaire to test their knowledge about our bus service. Winners with the most correct answers will be drawn from entries for a chance to win donuts or a pizza party (answers are on flyers around town or on www.tecumsehne.com).
- Friday – Bucks for Backpacks: All grades at JCC (preschool through 12th grade at Tecumseh and Cook locations) and St. Andrews school (they will compete as one) will be collecting money April 1-12 for the Johnson County Backpack Program. The winning grade level or St. Andrews that collects the most money will get a pizza party at the school.
- Monday – The 10th boarder receives a free ride.
- Tuesday – Customer Appreciation Day: Giving out special goodies.
- Wednesday – The cost of rides is a canned good to be donated to the local food pantry.
- Thursday – Refer a new rider and receive a prize.
- Friday – Staff Appreciation Day: All riders can enter to win a $10 bus pass.
- Friday, April 5 – Driver Luncheon.
- All Week
- Veterans will ride free.
- Drivers will distribute snacks and pens.
- A presentation to elementary classes in Banner, Potter, Chappell, and Big Springs.
- Open House (date TBD) in Deuel County from 11 a.m.-2 p.m. at the Chappell Senior Citizens building, 245 Matlock Avenue. Lunch will be provided.
- All riders for the week will be entered in a drawing for several gift baskets.
- Kids coloring contest.
- Daily Trivia.
- Employee Appreciation.
- Monday – Staff Appreciation Day.
- Tuesday – Half Price Rides (Trip to Lincoln): All passengers will pay half the regular fare amount. Giveaways will be handed out to each passenger.
- Wednesday – Public Awareness Day: Calendars and brochures will be distributed to inform the public of our services.
- Thursday – Half Price Rides (Trip to Fremont): All riders will pay half the regular fare amount. Giveaways will be handed out to each passenger.
- Friday – Passenger Appreciation/Free Rides (Wahoo Only): Passengers will be able to ride free. Giveaways will be handed out to each passenger.